Friday, April 18, 2014

Altered Keepsake Boxes

Last fall, I bought some cardboard boxes to decorate for gifts for some young ladies at our church. What a fun project! 
 

 I used My Minds Eye scrapbook paper. This particular pad of paper is filled with pretty chevrons and woodgrains...two of my favorite patterns to work with. =)
 I measured and traced around all sides of the box. After the dry fit to be sure each piece was right, I glued it all down with Mod Podge.
 I even covered the inside of each box.
I used washi tape along the edge of the lid. It was the perfect width and the colors all matched perfectly.
 After the box was covered with paper, I brushed Mod Podge over the entire inside and outside of the box, letting it dry hard in between coats. I gave it three coats making sure to seal all of the edges and surfaces.
I purchased a drawer pull to use as a handle for the top of the box. My husband drilled a small hole in the cardboard top. He also cut off the excess length of the screw.  I used two different sized scalloped circle punches (4 layers from each size punch) to make a flower out of magazine pages. I punched a whole in the center of all the layers, then put the drawer pull through, and attached it with a small nut on the inside.
I added a large rhinestone to the top of each pull for a little extra bling. I hope the girls are enjoying their boxes and tucking away all kinds of fun keepsakes. Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment